Fall is officially here and one way to know that it’s finally fall is the appearance of pumpkins everywhere. There are huge bins of pumpkins outside the grocery store for carving fun. There are pumpkin candles and pumpkin soaps to make your house and you smell like pumpkins. There are pumpkin pies to eat and pumpkin spiced lattes to drink.
Another way to get your pumpkin on is to incorporate it into your skin care routine. Pumpkins are jam packed with nutrients that are great for skin health. Let’s breakdown some of those vitamins, minerals and other wonderful nutrients that make pumpkin so good for the skin.
- Vitamin C– This vitamin is known for its super antioxidant powers and is an ingredient in many skin care products. So, why is Vitamin C so super-duper? Since Vitamin C is an antioxidant, it protects the skin from free radical damage caused by environmental factors such as UV rays and air pollution. On top of protecting the skin from premature aging caused by free radicals, Vitamin C also helps to correct existing conditions. It stimulates collagen production improving the skin’s elasticity and reducing the appearance of fine lines. The anti-inflammatory properties of Vitamin C help to calm acne and other types of skin inflammation.
Skin Care Products with Vitamin C- SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic, SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF, Jan Marini C-ESTA Serum/Cream, Epionce Intense Defense Serum and SkinMedica Vitamin C + E Complex.
- Vitamin A– This vitamin is also likely to be found in many skin care products. It’s active forms of retinal, retinol, and retinoic acid are proven winners in the beauty business. The type of Vitamin A found in pumpkin comes in the form of beta-carotene, which gives pumpkin it’s beautiful orange hue. Vitamin A helps to strengthen skin cells and the skin barrier making the skin more resilient. It also soothes and hydrates the skin. The combination of strengthening and hydration gives the skin a firmer more youthful appearance.
Skin Care Products with Vitamin A– Jan Marini Luminate face Lotion MD, Jan Marini Age Intervention Retinol Plus, Jan Marini Luminate Eye Gel, Jan Marini Age Intervention Eye Cream, SkinMedica Retinol Complex.
- Vitamin B– There are many forms of Vitamin B found in pumpkins, including Niacin, Riboflavin, B6, and Folate. Each form of Vitamin B has its own benefits. Niacin is regarded as one of the best forms of Vitamin B for the skin. It helps strengthen the protective barrier of the skin which seals moisture in and keeps irritants out. Niacin can be beneficial for many skin conditions, including rosacea, acne, eczema, hyper-pigmentation and dry skin. Riboflavin and Folate both aide in cell turnover, which help prevent acne break outs and creates a brighter complexion. B6 prevents acne in two ways by assisting in the repair of skin cells and by reducing inflammation.
Skin Care Products with Vitamin B– SkinCeuticals B5 Gel, Epionce Intense Defense Serum, and SkinMedica Redness Relief Complex.
- Zinc– This amazing mineral is a super healer when it comes to skin. Zinc can be found in many topical creams for scrapes and burns because of its healing properties. It repairs damaged skin and soothes inflammation, both characteristics make Zinc great for those with acne prone skin. Zinc also aides in acne prevention by controlling oil production.
Skin Care Products with Zinc– TIZO3, Color Science Sunforgettable Brush-On Sunscreen, Epionce Lytic Tx, and SkinMedica Defense + Repair Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 34.
- Fruit Enzymes– Pumpkins are full of fruit enzymes, which act like alpha hydroxy acids when applied to the skin. The enzymes exfoliate the skin by dissolving the dead skin cells that sit on top of the skin. Removing the dead skin cells leads to a brighter and smoother complexion. The enzymes go one step further by increasing cell turnover, giving a longer lasting glow.
Skin Care Products with Fruit Enzymes– SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Defense, SkinMedica AHA/BHA Cleanser and SkinMedica AHA/BHA Cream.
It is truly unbelievable how many components of pumpkin are great for the skin. These 5 are only the tip of the iceberg. Experts believe that there are over 100 beneficial compounds for skin health that can be found in pumpkin. To get all the benefits of pumpkin try Jan Marini’s Holiday Pumpkin Exfoliator or spoil yourself with a seasonal Pumpkin Facial!