Glowing Skin From the Inside Out
What we choose to put into our bodies has a huge effect on our health, including skin health. All the creams, lotions and potions used in a good skin care routine nourish the skin from the outside and the foods we choose to eat nourish us from the inside. There are certain vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and other nutrients essential for skin health. The following is a list of somethings to include in your diet to get your skin glowing from the inside out!
1. Vitamin C
- Most cosmeceutical skin care lines offer some type of Vitamin C product. This is because Vitamin C is very important for skin health. Vitamin C is a super antioxidant, which protects the skin from oxidative damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals cause accelerated aging by breaking down collagen in the skin. Loading up on Vitamin C can give the skin a smoother and more youthful appearance.
- Nourish from the inside with strawberries, citrus fruits, red bell peppers and broccoli.
- Nourish from the outside with SkinCeuticalâ€™s CE Ferulic, Jan Mariniâ€™s CESTA Serum, SkinMedicaâ€™s Vitamin C+E Complex or Epionce Intense Defense Serum.
2. Vitamin E
- Vitamin E is essential for the barrier function of the skin. A strong barrier plays a huge role in skin health. The skin barrier keeps irritants out and holds moisture in. Vitamin E also supports healthy skin growth.
- Nourish from the inside with almonds, avocados, hazelnuts, pine nuts and sunflower seeds.
- Nourish from the outside with SkinCeuticals Resveratrol B E, Epionce Enriching Firming Mask and SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer.
- Selenium is a mineral that works in tandem with Vitamins C and E and is essential for a healthy immune system. This mineral can help to protect against skin cancer, sun damage and age spots. Only 4 brazil nuts are the equivalent to the recommended daily amount of Selenium.
- Nourish from the inside with brazil nuts, fish, shellfish, egg, tomatoes and broccoli.
- Nourish from the outside with Epionceâ€™s Intense Defense Serum.
4. Eat the Rainbow
- The pigments in fruits and vegetables are part of their natural defense systems. Different colors represent different phytonutrients contained in the plants. These phytonutrients have benefits for our health. By eating foods that are different colors, it ensures that a wide variety of vitamins and minerals are being consumed. For example, foods that are orange in color usually contain high amounts of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is converted to Vitamin A in the body and helps to regulate cell production and turnover, an essential function for healthy skin.
- Nourish from the inside with tomatoes, carrots, yellow squash, kale, blueberries and purple potatoes.
- Nourish from the outside with Skin Medicaâ€™s Retinol Complex, Jan Mariniâ€™s Age Intervention Retinol Plus, and Jan Mariniâ€™s Luminate Eye Gel.
- This mineral has two very important roles when it comes to skin health. Zinc helps to normalize the function of the sebaceous glands and works to repair cell damage, making it an important mineral for acne sufferers.
- Nourish from the inside with fish, shellfish, lean meat, whole grains, nuts and seeds.
- Nourish from the outside with Epionceâ€™s Lytic Tx, SkinMedicaâ€™s Total Defense and Repair, and TIZO.
6. Omega 3s
- Omega 3â€™s are considered essential fatty acids because the body is unable to produce these fatty acids on its own. These fatty acids are essential in a healthy diet. Omega 3â€™s greatest benefit to the skin is its anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is the cause of many skin conditions.
- Nourish from the inside with oily fish, flaxseed, chia seed, and walnuts.
- Nourish from the outside with Epionceâ€™s Restorative Hand Cream, Epionceâ€™s Renewal Facial Lotion/Cream, and Jan Mariniâ€™s Age Intervention Face Cream.
- Skin cells are mostly water. This makes staying hydrated key for youthful looking skin. When you are dehydrated, the skin is dehydrated as well and fine lines and wrinkles appear more prominent on dehydrated skin. Keep hydrated for smooth and plump skin.
- Nourish from the inside by drinking enough water (6-8 cups a day) and eating food with a high-water content (watermelon, cucumbers, celery).
- Nourish from the outside with SkinMedicaâ€™s HA5 and SkinCeuticalâ€™s B5 Gel.
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.